Chronic dialysis facilities and patients are usually not included in state and local disaster plans and must therefore plan for their own survival. Because dialysis facilities provide life-sustaining treatment to patients with renal failure, it is imperative that they be as prepared as possible in the event of an emergency. Patients should likewise prepare themselves for emergency situations that may prevent them from getting to their dialysis treatment. Providers and patients can find helpful emergency planning and preparedness resources below.
MARC’s Role in Emergency Preparedness
MARC can assist individuals and providers/facilities in planning for an emergency or disaster by providing resources and direction to agencies that specialize in emergency planning and response. During emergencies, we will provide the following services:
- Track and make available the open and closed status of facilities in affected areas
- Assist patients and facilities in identifying dialysis facilities that can provide ESRD services.
- Assist family members and treating facilities in determining the dialysis location of displaced patients in order to exchange critical medical information
- Coordinate with providers and emergency personnel to ensure patient access to dialysis
To report a facility closure, click here
Kidney Community Emergency Response (KCER) Coalition
MARC is part of the National Kidney Community Emergency Response (KCER) Coalition
. Visit the KCER website for the latest tools and resources to assist providers, federal, state, and local emergency responders, patients, and patients' families in establishing emergency preparedness and response plans.
DaVita Dialysis (or Total Renal Care): 1-800-400-8331
Fresenius Medical Care (FMC or BMA): 1-800-626-1297
Dialysis Corporation of America (DCA): 1-888-730-6164
American Renal Associates (ARA): 1-888-880-6867
Renal Advantage, Inc. (RAI): 1-800-403-2530
Independent Dialysis Foundation (IDF): 1-866-611-9028
Patient & Provider Resources
Preparing for Emergencies: A Guide for People on Dialysis (available in English
Disaster Preparedness: A Guide for Chronic Dialysis Facilities - 2nd Edition
and Supplemental Appendix of Customizable Forms
5-Diamond Emergency Preparedness module
(must register to access module; registration is free)
What If...? Emergency Preparedness Campaign
- Developed by MARC, this campaign includes posters, fact sheets, and checklists to help patients of all modalities and professionals take the first steps to being better prepared for the event of an emergency. Materials are available in English and Spanish.
Report a Facility Closure